12 June, 2011

The Mystery of Valencian Nightlife

Last night the girls and I and some other randoms finally made it out to L'Umbracle, Valencia's most popular discoteca. It is located in the City of Arts and Sciences, and is only open in the warm summer months. Why? Because the whole thing is an outdoor terraza! There is another part below, MYA which I hear only plays techno headache music.

But L'Umbracle is located next to the dinosaur exhibit, and it is pretty awesome inside.

Before hand we caught drinks and supported a good cause at my favorite bar, The Portland Ale House. They were having a Pink party to raise money and awareness for Breast Cancer. So everyone was decked out in pink clothing, accessories, and pink drinks!

Anyway, when we entered L'Umbracle at the early hour 145 am, it was not very crowded. The only people there were the people who were using the same passes at us that was free entry until 2 am. (Normally entry is 15 euros which includes a drink).

The club played some great music. But after going out a few nights here and there, I've noticed something strange about Valencian nightlife. No one dances!  Everyone just kind of stands around chatting over the music. Interesting. I wanna dance!

So we Americans and other Internationals dance. We are quite the show, especially the Americans with out interesting style of dance moves.

My other favorite part dancing in Valencian bars, is noticing how little English people know. When a song in english says something like "I throw my hands up in the air sometimes" you can look around, and see small clusters of dancers dancing with their hands flailing wildly in the air.... but only a a few....
Then the song comes on with the words "la mano arriba" (the hand up) and every spaniard throws their one arm up in the air and then they dar una vuelta (turn around)

My friend joked today that it would be a good way to find new friends in Valencia, just look for people with their arms up in the air during the english songs that call for your hands in the air!

When we finally left the disco at about 445 in the morning, the Line was out the door to get in! Well, there really isn't a door, but there was a line to get in! I don't know how these spaniards do it!
Nora and I ready to dance!

cody and I just entering L'Umbracle


No comments:

Post a Comment