25 June, 2011

Clases Particulares

It started with a job... and ended with two families.

Being that Fulbright only requires we work 16 hours a week, I knew immediately I would need something more to fill my time,  I am not the type of person to sit around all day doing nothing, being a couch potato (ok, maybe i can do that once or twice here or there, but by day 2 I develop cabin fever!)

I took up clases particulares, or better known as tutoring. I started with a family of two girls, Laura (now age 9) and Blanca (now age 4) The two girls attend a Bilingual school, so Laura could carry out conversations with me, but Blanca not so much.

My tutoring entailed working with weekly spelling words, grammar, and science. It also included playing teacher, dancing, singing, magic shows and other assorted activities.

By December, I had picked up a second family of 3 Boys: Borja (11) Mauro (9) and Carlos (4). The two families are very close and they decided to share me.

I had to say goodbye to what are now known as "my kids" and I was really sad to do so. Both families have integrated me into their family and made me feel like one of their own. I loved those kids, and I will miss them a lot (even though I came home with scratches and pulled hair, and also a headache and maybe some grey hairs) but all the good that came out of my time with them far outweighs the bad.

I hope I can continue to see the children while I am here in Valencia this summer, and Spain for however long that may be...



1 comment:

  1. Cute! Who knew that all those exasperated "So how were YOUR kids tonight?" conversations would actually end up with you loving your experience so much :)

    ReplyDelete