08 June, 2011

Built up Anticipation, Over in the blink of an eye

Ever since Octoberish, I have had a countdown on my Mac's dashboard. Counting down the days until my Parents come to visit! The countdown started at about 265 days or something ridiculous that it might as well have said NEVER, but slowly but surely, I watched that daunting little calendars number decrease... 212 days, 175 days, 122, 99, 82, 45, 30, 14, 1... and before I knew it, the calendar was saying "8 days since Parents visit!" 

I had a lot of time to build up anxiety and anticipation for my parents visit. There was so much to look forward to besides the fact that my parents were coming to visit me after my short 6 day visit in December.

 The reason I was MOST excited was because it was their first time out of the country (because really, Canada doesn't count)

The second reason I was super excited, was because I could not wait for them to see WHY I'm here and WHY I don't want to go home! I was confident that they would fall in love with Spain just like I did. I was also confident they would buy property while they were here, but I was not so on point with that one... but there's always next year!


Some personal highlights from my parents trip:
-Welcome wagon bocadillos
-Visiting my school and watching my kids perform an English play... and they also received a roar of applause and cheers from my students just for being present! 
-Tapas at las cuevas
-Absorbent amounts of Sangria and wine
-Witnessing my mother witness a bullfight at Las Ventas in Madrid... and staying longer than I did my first time
-My dad buying, wearing, and loving a Murse (man purse)

-Escargot and french onion soup in Paris
-Going up the eiffel tower

-Watching French movies in our GREAT B&B in Paris while my mom rubbed my feet and back
-Drinking wine from water bottles throughout the day... it runs in the fam
-Not getting lost in ANY city
-Pink Champagne truffles from Harrods
- Perfect lunch at Maria Jose's... American fam meets spanish fam

-Beautiful beach day
-Cooking for my parents again
-Nightly Paseos through Valencia
-My parents saying Madrid was one of their favorite cities, and Spain is their favorite country
-Paella in the Park
-Did I mention the wine? (14-17 wine corks were saved... this does not include sangria)

-Having my family back


Unfortunately, reflecting the day of their departure (I bid them a teary eyed farewell last night) I woke up today and It felt like a dream. It all happened so fast, I can't believe that 2 weeks has passed!

I am a little heartbroken, ok A LOT heartbroken and I kind of don't know what to do with my days. However, something to ease the pain: I booked a flight home August 14th-September 14th!


2 comments:

  1. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT ALL!

    YOUR THOUGHTS ARE MY THOUGHTS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful time. Europe and pretty much every country is on my to see list. I want to be well traveled. Patience for now. Maybe you will still be there when I can go. Enjoy!.

    ReplyDelete