01 November, 2011

My ABC's of Travel

A: Age you went on your first international trip:  Does Canada count? If so, I believe i went at age 9 or so. If Canada doesn't count, I went on a cruise and stopped in Belize and two Mexican cities at age 21 If that STILL doesnt count, then it was to Spain at age 22!!!
B: Best (foreign) beer you’ve had and where: Im pretty sure i have an allergy to some ingredient in beer. But I had some really good pear sidra in Fuerteventura (imported from a different country, dont ask where)
C: Cuisine (favorite): Although I gained at least 5 pounds traveling Italy for a week, Id have to say I really really really enjoyed the Moroccan cuisine!! It was so different and flavorful!  Italy and their gelato is a close 2nd though
my favorite moroccan dish!
D: Destinations, favorite, least favorite and why: Youre going to make me choose just one location??? Of course i choose Madrid, it is my favorite city hands down. And I love traveling throughout Spain, but if I have to choose a different European country I'd have to choose Amsterdam. I could ride bikes past windmills all day while eating gouda cheese and never complain (except when its cold). Least favorite was probably brussels. The girls and I always joked when thinking of an adjective to describe each city... Brussels: Its belgian. But I cant kick Brussels when its down, I do love their waffles and chocolate!
E: Event you experienced abroad that made you say “wow”: Flamenco always awes me and I get so entranced by the performance. But as I was typing that response, I realized wait a tic... LAS FALLAS. Nothing compares to all those big structures being lit on fire with fireworks in the background. The noise, the smells, the heat against your face, everyones excitement... nothing beats it.
F: Favorite mode of transportation: VALEN-BISI! Takes you anywhere, with securty bike lanes, for 18 euros a year. I would just appreciate it more if there were more places to park at the beach!
G: Greatest feeling while traveling: I love when I can communicate with people who I don't share a common language with. I love learning and successfully speaking new languages (at least phrases). Example: speaking to an italian cab driver in Firenze... I was so proud and I hope Francesco is proud of me!
H: Hottest place you’ve traveled to: It would be Morocco, if i hadn't gone in January. That being said, I think it is Madrid... love that heat!
I: Incredible service you’ve experienced and where: Amber and I were treated like princesses in our Riad in Fez Morocco. We ate wonderful breakfasts, had an unbelievably fantastic bathroom, and even recieved wonderful souvenirs from our host Abdul!
J: Journey that took the longest: Valencia to New York. Woke up at an ungodly hour for a 4 hour bus to Madrid, then waited in the airport for about 6 hours, following a 2 hour delay, arrived in Heathrow London with 30 minutes before my plane was to depart, ran through the airport to catch my plane, safely made it, but my suitcase did not. It arrived 2 nights later, christmas eve!
K: Keepsake from your travels: At every city I visit, I always buy myself a postcard. Thats it. Pretty simple gal
L: Let-down sight, why and where: I honestly cant think of one let down. I never really talked anything up to myself.  Maybe the Alhambra only because tickets sold out and i didnt get to go!
M: Moment where you fell in love with travel: my first views of Madrid when FORSPRO picked us up and we drove through the Salamanca area
N: Nicest hotel you’ve stayed in: Its a tie between Spot Hostel in Oporto, Portugal, and our Riad in Fez, Morocco! both were so nice and really set high standards for any future alojamientos
O: Obsession—what are you obsessed with taking pictures of while traveling?: Someone asked me this a few months ago and I was convinced I didnt have an obsession... but then looking at my italy pictures I realized I do... its BRIDGES! weird




P: Passport stamps, how many and from where?  I have a lot mainly from traveling between spain and america round trip  3 times... also I have some Paris stamps, some London Stamps, and my pride and joy is my Morocco stamp!!
Q: Quirkiest attraction you’ve visited and where: i just love cheese exhibits. there were so many in amsterdam!
R: Recommended sight, event or experience:  I agree with Casey! Hiking the five towns of the Cinque Terre in Italy. You must hike it, no trains allowed.
S: Splurge; something you have no problem forking over money for while traveling: I really am anti souvenir and more pro-experience or pro-food. I love splurging on one delicious meal from every country I go to
T: Touristy thing you’ve done: In Valencias Parque del Turia, my parents and I rode that little train that gives you a tour of the City of Arts and Sciences.... que verguenza
U: Unforgettable travel memory: I seriously cant choose one! Do I choose hiking cinque terre? Swimming off the island of Capri? Eating grapes at midnight in puerta del Sol? Biking the Netherlands Countryside? Sunset over Firenze? Traditional Moroccan family feast? Riding home in a big yellow van of a stranger? or how about LIVNG IN SPAIN???

V: Visas, how many and for where? One. My student visa to come to Spain as en English Teachers Assistant
W: Wine, best glass of wine while traveling and where?  My favorite glass of wine will always be from Long Island, my peach wine from Vineyard 48

X: eXcellent view and from where?: Cinque terre is the most beautiful place I have ever laid my eyes upon.  Close second best view is the view from Piazza Michaelangelo in Firenze
Y: Years spent traveling?: About 1.5! And oh the places I've been!!
Z: Zealous sports fans and where?: When Spain won the world cup, the atmosphere was intoxicating in Astoria Queens where I watched it with my favorite Madrileña and other Spanish blooded citizens of New York!


No comments:

Post a Comment