21 November, 2011

Weekend Escape

After 2 months of non-stop hustle and bustle, moving, unpacking, adjusting, partying, working and LIVING... it was time for a bit of descansa, or in other words, some R&R.

I packed my big bag, not really knowing what was in store for me, nor where I was going. But I packed a bag like a good ex girl scout, keeping the motto "always be prepared" in my head. (yes i know its really the boy scout motto but we borrowed it in desperate times of cookie sales.. and anyway my idea of being prepared consisted of carrying my cupcake tray, maple syrup, chocolate chips, bbq sauce, recipes in my ipad, a hair dryer, 3 pairs of shoes including my uggs, and most of my hair products) I put all of my faith into my newly appointed Spanish tour guide, and we trekked off to Albacete, which is really in the middle of nowhere. From there, we continued one hour into MORE nothingness of the province of Albacete to Esteban's families' getaway house.

We arrived late after sunset on friday evening. We hung out around space heaters, waiting for the heat to kick in. To make the time pass quicker, we opened a bottle of red, sliced up some cheese and spread some pate.  We enjoyed these simple delicacies in front of the fireplace.

The next morning I awoke to an amazing sight.... the view of the mountains! It was absolutely breathtaking. 

I treated my host to some traditional made-from-scratch-all-American-chocolate chip pancakes, which I thoroughly enjoyed while fixing my view upon the lovely paisaje.

After we went for a walk to further enjoy the lovely landscape. Then we encountered something I've only read about in books... a spanish shepherd and his herd of sheep and goats!! How exciting!!!!!!

After all the excitement of domestic animals in the mountains, we headed inside for a lunch consisting of a goatcheese/apple/walnut salad, and partridge... and lots of wine and crema de orujo.

Before finishing the bottle of the ever-so-delectable creme de orujo, I rembered I needed some of it for my most anticipated recipe of the weekend: Irish Car bomb cupcakes!

Even though I was a little tipsy after our long spanish lunch, the cupcakes were a HUGE success. I thought I died and went to heaven for a moment, but then came back to earth for another bite!

Later that evening while getting into the Real Madrid-Valencia futbol match, we also made some BBQ chicken pizza. It sure did feel good to get back into the kitchen!

The next morning after sleeping until noon and being lazy until 130, it was time to get the show in the road: eating the remainder of all the food we bought, and cleaning and locking up the house.



I was a little despondent to leave such a good weekend behind; but reminding myself that I was headed back to my favorite city made it a little easier on the soul. Also, I have a feeling I'll get to go back again! =)

1 comment:

  1. That first picture of Albacete outdoors is gorgeous; I don't think I'd ever seen pictures of this provincia. Glad to hear that you had a creative, rejuvenating weekend!

    ReplyDelete