27 November, 2011

Im Thankful for Thanksgiving

Let me begin by saying that Thanksgiving is my FAVORITE holiday However, trying to celebrate thanksgiving here in Spain has become something thats half a challenge, somewhat like a scavenger hunt, and tends to be painful at times. But in the end, its always worth it.

The challenge begins for me about the monday before Thanksgiving. It is the day I go and attempt to order a turkey.  Whenever I enter a poultry shop (polleria) and request un pavo entero (whole turkey), it seems that an extra three heads grow out of my neck... because the person behind the counter looks at me in such awe and confusion, like why is this 4 headed blonde girl ordering an entire turkey???? After trying about 2-3 pollerias, someone finally agrees to hunt down a 4 kilo turkey for me and have it ready by thursday for me to pick up.

Then its time to ingredient shop. I must have gone into 5 supermarkets, and 8 frutarias looking for certain root vegetables or spices. You can never find everything you need at one place, its like a game looking for all your ingredients (parsnips where are you!?!?!)

Heres the fun part: Teaching Thanksgiving.

I started out my lesson two my 6 and 7 year olds by showing them a cute picture of a turkey in a pilgrim hat. As soon as the picture goes up everyone starts shouting "POLLO!!!!!" (chicken) no no no, children, this is NOT a chicken. By my last lesson I even started with "Who knows what this animal is? And heres a hint: its NOT a chicken!!!" Well that really stumped them.

I probably then will say the word TURKEY 17 more times at least throughout my thanksgiving presentation. and at the end when I ask "what do we eat on thanksgiving" everyone STILL shouts "CHICKEN!" or sometimes even "KITCHEN!!" (fair enough)

Then I have to explain the history of thanksgiving. This was difficult for me. Do I share the story I learned when I was in elementary school? Or do I share the true story I spent a month learning about in college, learning how to teach it to students?? Well, I did a little of both. And its ok, Im sure they wont remember it anyway....

Then I taught about why thanksgiving is important: its about giving thanks. I got the usual thankfulnesses: family, mom, dad, teacher, house, friends, brother, food.... I got somethings like "parrot, horse, banana, apple, money" and things a little more complex like "loving".

From Violeta, I got "eating in the dining room!" Whatever makes you happy!!!

But my biggest hurdle, besides cooking a turkey... was when a 7 year old asked me (rough translation) "But teacher, if you are thankful for your family and friends, and they are important to you... why are you here and so far away form them if they are so important?"

Good Question.... you got me there, kid.

Anyway... I enjoyed sharing thanksgiving in school, including clips from Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, the Macy's Thanksgiving day parade, and of course, the "Can't Stuff this" music video

The next few hours/days were pretty messy. They included a turkey dilemma, crying over facetime while talking to my entire extended family, cooking all day and not eating, then eating a lot, then not being able to eat for about 16 hours... but then like all Thanksgivings... my thanksgiving also included Football.... just the Spanish kind!

Here's a brief list of things I'm thankful for:
1) The obvis like my family and friends
2) Technology to keep in touch with those important people
3) The families I have gained here in Spain
4) Fulbright, because without them I don't know if I ever would have made it here
5) The opportunities I have by being here (career wise and life wise)
6) The ability to travel
7) That I have someone special here who helps me immensely and makes me super happy =)
8) Chocolate
9) Wine
10) Good Health
11) Happiness

2 comments:

  1. A scavenger hunt, is that ever the right term for it!

    And, it´s not just young kids that have trouble remembering "turkey"--most of the students at my school didn´t remember this word even though we said it about 1047 times during Thanksgiving and Christmas lessons last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I just wrote about Thanksgiving too... it's also my favorite holiday but I've been able to have some great celebrations here too. This year I just ordered a chicken though...

    ReplyDelete