03 May, 2011

Spring Break Mathematical Synopsis

Whoa what a trip!

Let's start out by saying that I was not really looking forward to this trip: The thought exhausted me! Nora literally had to come into my room and coax me into me leaving the piso. I was not prepared for 12 days of travel! Yes of course some aspects were exciting, but it was raining and I just wanted to lay in bed in Valencia!!! In spite of the dreary weather and the obstacles I could only imagine I would be confronted with, I left the piso and embarked on a pretty cool spring break!

Now because there is way too much to cover, I am going to steal Molly's terrific idea of spring break by the numbers (pounds to molly cositgan- check out her blog link on the right or click here)

*12 Days of Traveling: Depart April 21st Arrive in Valencia May 2nd

*6 cities: Sevilla, Córdoba, Granada, Amsterdam, Antwerp and Brussels
Plaza España, Seville


View from the Alhambra, Granada


Cordoba


One of the many man made canals, Amsterdam


Antwerp


Brussels
*3 Hour delay at Valencia Airport
* 10 kilo maximum luggage (i think i was at 9.3!)
*4.5 days of rain (3 in Sevilla and 1.5 in Granada) which resulted in:


procession retreating to dry land
* 1/10 of a procession... the whole reason I scheduled a trip there!
Checking out the view of the Alhambra, under an Umbrella
* 5 hours in Córdoba to see the 1 and only Mezquita!
* 13 hours worth of bus rides
* 7 home made salads... some made in bathrooms, with plastic cutlery from burger king
one of our gourmet dinners thanks to a kitchen in seville. Our granada salads were not so lucky
* 1 kilo's worth of Home made granola bars (delish) to get me through!
* 2 nights of free tapas for dinner in Granada (and 2 nights of good excuses to indulge in wine)
Pitcher of sangria + tapas.... 8 euros... Enjoying it with Norita: Priceless
* 7.5 hours total flight time
* 1 afternoon in the Jardines of the Alhambra
* 2 broken umbrellas
*1 crazy bus driver who drove down from el Albacin with the bus doors open
*60: The amount of Euros I lost/ was stolen from me =( no use crying over dissapearing euros! Chin up and move on! Too much to enjoy!!
* 22 km rode through the country side in Amsterdam


* Too many: amount free samples of Gouda cheese


*6 Fulbrighter friends forming a windmill
*1 museum: Anne Frank House in Amsterdam (thats right, just ONE museum!)
* 5 different beds (2 hostels, 1 pension, a boat and a hotel)
Roy was a fantastic captain! Ill be back roy!
* 30 hours of much needed solidarity in Antwerp


*2 beautiful Main squares in Belgium
Grote Market in Antwerpen


Grote Market in Brussels- Caution: picture does not do it any justice! It is more beautiful than you think!


* 1 unique peeing statue


The symbol of Brussels: Mannequin Pis... not sure if city symbols get any worse?
* 1 afternoon of a self guided Belgian Chocolate tour (these are not offered, we just went in and out of chocolate shops testing all the free samples)
This leopard print piece of heaven in my hand is dark chocolate filled with mango and passion fruit: 2nd best piece of chocolate of my life
* 10: The score I give to my Belgian waffle that beat any other waffle i've ever encountered (sorry, eggo)
* 3 hours laying in a Park and bonding 


* an estimated 30 miles of roaming the streets of these cities (its just an estimate, i honestly have no idea... but it feels like a lot!
* 4 Languages I finagled my way through: Spanish (with an Andalucian accent), Dutch, Flemish, and French
*1 happy Chelsea to arrive back in Valencia after 12 days away from my home on the Mediterranean!
=)

No comments:

Post a Comment