08 May, 2011

Life as Cultural Ambassador

In the past 8 months (omg only 2 months left!) I have done all I can to share my culture with Spain. Here a few examples:

1) Sharing candy corn with my students and sharing how we celebrate halloween
2) Making thanksgiving dinner for our friends
3) Christmas cookie party
4) Sharing candy canes and christmas carols with my students
5) Pen pals from NY
6) Superbowl party and explanation at school
7) Burgers and cole slaw back in october (followed by dancing to soulja boy)
8) April fools day
9) Cheerleading team
10) Cinco de Mayo party!


Now let's discuss this last one, shall we? So in school I said:
-"its cinco de mayo! a big holiday in the US/Mexico?"
-oh really? whats it called?
-Cinco de mayo!
-thats the name of the holiday?



ugh, I should have known this would happen after failed attempts at mexican food here in Spain.

So when I gave my explanation to what cinco de mayo was, I just left it at "Mexican pride day" and skipped the part about exuberant amounts of margaritas and tacos.


Anyway, so on the siete de mayo, we celebrated the cinco de mayo in Javea and beautiful Rosemaries paradise apartment.


I was so excited for this fiesta, that 5 days before, I began my homemade piñata!


We even played pin the tail on the donkey after our margaritas and fajitas!



Just another episode of Fulbright showing off American culture!

pinata on the roof!

No comments:

Post a Comment