17 May, 2011

Malta- not the home of Malt liquor

Malta is a teeny tiny island in the Mediterranean in between Sicily and the western coast of Africa. It is one of the worlds smallest and most densely populated countries! It is composed of 4 islands. One island has zero residents, and one island has 3 residents. Yes three. And hotels (but all the employees live on other islands)

Malta was once described to me this way: the Cancun of Europe. I find this pretty dead on with loads of people in skimpy clothes, hot weather, and lots o cheap drinks. I also found it to be close to the Jersey shore because everyone looked totally guido but also like Adam Lambert of American idol.... and there was fist pumping and cat fights.

In Malta they speak Maltese. It is quite an interesting language because it is a mix of Arabic and Italian and English!
Thankfully, the Maltese start English studies at age 3 so butchering the Maltese language is not necessary. =)

I embarked upon this trip with a fascinating mix of people, and ended up with even more fascinating and entertaining stories. The thing that was different from this trip in comparison to all my other trips, is that this trip was spent with ONLY guys. I must say, it was so refreshing! However, I then remembered that guys can be pretty incapable and its the woman's job to pick up the slack and take responsibility ;)

My first companion on this trip, was my friend Jordan. I met Jordan through Fulbright, he is from Kentucky (accent and all!) and is teaching English in Madrid.

My second companion was Cody, who I consider to be my bff in Valencia. We met at a bar, so clearly we're destined for fun together. He is from Virginia and is also an English teacher. He is also a very large guy.

The third companion was sort of an add on: Matt, Cody's childhood friend. Matt was quite an interesting fellow. He flossed in bars, and stole my toothpaste so that he could also brush his teeth between drinks while we were out. Gotta love the ones that keep it entertaining!

With these guys and all the other people we met along the way (shoutouts to peruvian Pierre, our galego boys, and the sevillano) we sure had an interesting trip. We got separated a few times but we all got to do what we wanted to do, and it made for some good laughs (again, thank you cody for the drive by)
Other highlights from the trip: The views, the views, the views the views. Malta is GORGEOUS filled with nature and unlimited beauty and history!
I highly recommend a trip!
Salt bins... where salt is basically farmed, collected and sold for your food or skin!

really cool statue in Sliema, the reflection of the upside down statue says LOVE <3

Azure Window, the 17th natural wonder of the world

A view of the country of malta- all 4 islands!

A view of one coast of Malta, from the Silent City

No comments:

Post a Comment