09 May, 2011

I don't know what to wear!!!

This question has stuck with me since childhood. I would constantly complain to my mom and dad that I didn't know what to wear, or more likely that I didn't have anything to wear. Which I did, but I just never liked it or maybe I didn't know how to match shirts with pants, but that's besides the point. Now a days as a 24 year old independent adult, I find myself asking this question almost daily, but mainly for a new reason.
I know I've stressed earlier that I just want to fit in here in Spain. But their customary dress code makes it a little difficult!
Exhibit A: Yesterday, it was just about 80 degrees (26 c) And I got on my bathing suit and summer dress and left for the beach. It was perfect weather outside. But as I walk towards the tram, a young woman passes me, wearing leggings, boots, and a jacket. We kind of exchanged glances, as if saying to the other one "girl, you crazy!"
Growing up in New York, as soon as the weather hit 70, you go outside in your spring/summer clothes. One dresses based on the temperature outside. You check the weather daily and make your decision on what to wear based on the forecast.
Here in Spain, Spaniards dress to the season. If it's winter. Heavy coat and lots of layers (even if its an indian summer day of 65 or 70 degrees outside!) But as soon as the calendar said it was March 21st, all the spaniards put away their winter jackets and out come the spring jackets and floral print clothing.
Back in January we had a lovely day where it was around 70 degrees. Adaliss and I went out in t-shirts and flip flops and were perfectly comfortable-even slightly sweating when in the sun! But those spaniards stared us down from under their down jackets and boots... probably sweating and cursing us under their breath for being so smart and practical!

Anyway, The weather looks as though it will be "beach weather" from now on from this New Yorker's point of view.  And until June 21st when it's officially summer here in Valencia, I will just dodge the dirty/puzzling looks from the ciudadanos here in Valencia and enjoy the sol (without forgetting the SPF!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment