25 September, 2010

Week Number two as an ETA



Well I did it! I completed a full week of school!  (By the way, I should stop calling it school and accept the reality that I am no longer a student and that this is a job)

This week at school was interesting. I am still not really doing much in English class, but before I get more into that, I would like to update you on my Physical Education teachings.

I am instructed to teach basketball. The phys ed teacher asks me  (in broken spanglish) to teach them how to dribble, chest pass, bounce pass, and overhead pass.

Now I never studied methodology of physical education, and the last time I played serious basketball, I was 14.  So here I am, dribbling a basketball (I think im doing a great job btw) and saying “DRIBBLE! Reapeat: Dribble!” and getting blank stares. Finally, they caught on and yelled dribble. So I go on to chest pass. I point to my chest and say “Chest”, then pass the ball and say “pass. Chest pass. Repeat: Chest pass!”

Not so easy. So to try and reinforce the vocabulary, I go back to dribbling. I ask them what is this? They have no clue.  Back to chest pass, no clue. Let’s move on and get this over with.

In the end, they could not remember the names of the passes or the word dribble.  But I don’t expect them too. Since I was a learner of a foreign language, I know that in order to learn new vocabulary, you have to not only hear and say the word, but see it as well. Learning new vocabulary is visual for many people, especially older learners, and there is no chalkboard in physical education.

Another obstacle I have to overcome when “teaching” physical education, is that many times, all these kids want to do is play. I don’t blame them; I was the same way. I never listened to proper techniques and all that jib jab. Just let me play the game!  Spanish students are no different.

A third obstacle as huge as the Grand Canyon, is explaining to these kids what to do. They are not at a level where they can understand my directions (I will go further into their level momentarily). So I will explain something to them in English, and get a dozen or so blank stares.  Then they then ask me a question in Valencian, and they get a blank stare in reply. Then another student will answer their Valencian question in Valencian, then before I know it there is an outbreak of Valencian and me standing there shouting “SILENCIO POR FAVOR!”

However, physical education can be fun once I don’t have to teach and I can play the games with the kids. I don’t mind doing defense drills with some of older students, and I really like the hula hoop games I get to play with the little kids. It can be a fun way for us to bond in a non verbal way!

Now for the English room.  What every person in the school wants is for the children to start to SPEAK Spanish.  I personally know this is a huge hurdle; getting me to speak Spanish in the classroom used to be like chipping away at an ice block in the arctic! 

So to get a better understanding of the students’ speaking level, I take each 6th grader aside one by one, and try to chat with them. Here is how a typical conversation went.

Chelsea: Hello!
Student: hello
C: How many people live in your house?
S: umm… Moncada (moncada is their city)
C: No, how many people? Mom, dad, you…
S: Oh! Um, cinco
C: In English?
S: Five
C: Who are they?  Mom, dad, you, brother?
S: Brother?...
C: Hermanos
S: Oh si, tengo hermano
C: In English
S: I have brother y 2 mascotas
C: You have a brother AND two PETS?
S: Si…. Yes
C: How old is your brother?
S: …….??
C: How old is your brother? How many years old is he?
S: Oh,  ummm siete, seven
C: Does your brother attend this school?
S: No
C: Where does your brother go to school?
S: …Colegio
C: Is your brother Older? (makes gesture like taller) Is your brother  17?
S: Si! Yes, seventeen
C: Great, thank you, have a seat.

Ouch. That was painful!  I could not believe students were unable to answer the “How old are you” question! That is so basic, right after “What is your name?”

Some questions went well. It seems students could tell me a little about their pets, or that their sibling had brown hair and brown eyes (what Spaniard doesn’t?)

I cannot blame the kids for this though. I blame their book, and I guess the teaching style used in the classroom (although I love the English teacher, she is so in love with languages and very enthusiastic!)

The book does a lot of racial profiling, and focuses on short 6 line skits about “students in Whales” or “Activities in Australia” and “Match the flag to the country”

The students need more conversation, peer interviews, writing, reading, and grammar! No wonder they cannot form sentences, they do not learn grammar!

I also asked the teacher when they learn about the family, because they did not recognize the word brother. She replied, “Oh 6th level should know it! They learned it back in 2nd level!” I asked if it has been touched upon again, and she says no.

So they learn this vocabulary that they never learn to use in sentences or “real life” situations, and then it is never touched upon again or combined with other topics to reinforce it!

I devised a plan of attack that I hope will start to help them out a little.

I emailed one of my faaaavorite teachers from the past who I still keep in touch with.  Mrs. Flynn was my 3rd grade teacher who always lets me come in to her class to observe when I need to, and whose daughter goes to Cortland. I know that Mrs. Flynn now teaches 5th grade, and knows about my award and my opportunity here in Spain. 

So Mrs. Flynn’s 5th grade class will become “e-pals” with my 5th and 6th level Spanish students! (5th level plus 6th level classes totals 23 students) This will be a great opportunity for my English language learners to improve their writing and vocabulary, and it will be GREAT for these students to share cultural differences and experiences!
I think this may also be a double whammy in that I will make it my “side project” required by Fulbright.

Cross culture communication and diffusion among communities, along with improving upon language skills?  Sounds great!

I think I will have some guidelines to follow in each email, such as sharing a current event, an aspect of their day, and of course, facts about themselves and questions for their e-pal

The technology will also be a great aspect in that we can easily share media, links, maps, and not pay postage =)


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great idea. Maybe they could bring a photo of their family and send them to each other or maybe just you take it of them.

    ReplyDelete