11 September, 2010

Piso hunting, rounds one, two, and three

Piso hunting might possibly be the most frustrating thing, EVER. Also, a piso is the spanish word for apartment or flat. Many usually have 2-5 rooms, and 1 or two bathrooms, a common room or living room, and a kitchen. They are generally pretty small, oh and one more thing, hard to find.  We are currently in quest of a piso amueblado (furnished) with 4 habitaciones (bedrooms), and one or two bathrooms.  It is imperative that our piso be amueblado, because we only came bearing the clothes on our backs (and suitcases) We need EVERYTHING from couches, beds and mattresses, to forks, sheets, and tupperware.  Also, finding a decently nice one that fits  4 different personalities, preferences, and standards. This is almost as frustrating as trying to nail jell-o to a tree.



 After 2 days, we were feeling defeated. But today we may have finally struck some luck. The propieterio (landlord) seems easy to work with, and very helpful.  It is in the area of Benimaclet, an area slightly out side of the city center, but filled with younger college-ish students. It is very cultural and pretty safe. It kind of reminds me of my love, Astoria Queens.
  However, I came to Spain to improve upon my Spanish to further my career. I am fearful that living with Americans will hinder my experience. I am feeling slightly torn.  By the end of the day, I found myself sitting at a locutorio (internet cafe) fighting back tears while I searched for pisos compartidos (shared apartments).
  Then I had en epiphany. I need to do something for me, something I enjoy. That meant going to the grocery store and making some Tortilla Española.  Cooking made me feel a lot more relaxed and I thought (as I've been told a thousand times so far this trip) ¡No pasa nada! (Do not worry!) This is now my phrase i find myself repeating over and over in my head.
So here is the finished product of my therapy... i mean tortilla...
Another great commodity... 97 cent Valencian white wine: 
But Valencia isn't all that bad, I mean it IS a gorgeous city!

1 comment: