20 September, 2010

Things to Avoid in Valencia


So far, I have learned 2 things to avoid in Valencia. The first is… washing your hair. The water here is insanely hard- harder than Cortland water (and my dear Red Dragons, we all know that was bad)

After washing your hair in Valencia, it feels like you just washed it with mouse, hair gel, or even that gooey palmade gunk that people use to spike their hair in crazy positions. I really miss being able to run my fingers through my soft locks washed with soft water!

But do not worry, because I am so innovative and always thinking, I have come up with a resolution: washing my hair with bottled water. I felt like a new woman after this discovery. I do realize this may get pricey. A bottle of water the size to wash my hair is about 60 centavos to a euro. That means if I wash my hair 4-5 times a week, I will pay an extra 5-euro a week, just for soft hair! It will do for now, and maybe when times are tough I will only use bottled water on the weekends. But if anyone knows of any product that may prevent or treat this damaging hard water hair, please LET ME KNOW!

The second thing to avoid in Valencia (or Spain in general) is…. Getting sick on a Sunday.

This is no fun, I know first hand because I have gotten sick 2 out of 3 Sundays in Spain. Why does this suck? Because pharmacies are closed on Sundays,,that’s why. And you can’t just mosey on over to your local 711, CVS, Pathmark, or Bodega for some cough drops or pepto bismal. These commodities are only sold in Pharmacies Monday through Saturday, 9am until 2pm, and 5pm until 8 pm or something of that nature.  
When you see one of these flashing on a sunday, you're in luck!


Well, this isn’t entirely true. As it was explained to me, there is one pharmacy in every area that is the designated Sunday Pharmacy and those poor souls still have to stay open for those whose bodies decide to stop functioning on Sundays. However, these pharmacies are generally hidden, and a far walk.  It is quite a pain in the butt, especially if you’re sick!  In my opinion they should just deliver medication to sick people’s pisos on Sundays!  So if you can avoid it, don’t get sick on a Sunday in Spain.

No comments:

Post a Comment