16 September, 2012

Feliz Madriversario

Today I have reached a MILESTONE! 

One year ago today, I arrived in Madrid, tired, groggy, super jet-lagged, but filled with optimism and hope for the year to come, and big plans for all areas of life.

I remember the strangest thing about my departure from JFK this trip, was that I didn't cry at the security checkpoint goodbye. No tears. Just a "see you at christmas, love you!"

I think I couldn't cry because I knew what was ahead: two new jobs, old friends, new friends, night life, sangria, wine, city life, a future relationship (yes, I had a feeling), and of course, my beloved city of Madrid.
enjoying christmas in Sol
Madrileño foliage 
Rio Park

Puerta de Alcala and good friends

The past year has truly been a whirlwind: I have au paired (and survived), I have also survived another year as an auxiliar, being a "language assistant". I have traveled to Eastern Europe, to Asia, to tranquil houses in the mountains, I have returned to relive Valencia, I have danced until dawn, I have gained the perfect boyfriend, and I have a more in depth understanding of Spain and different views.

I no longer find Spain to be so different from the states. Spaniards like the same music, they like to have fun, they are family oriented, they are unhappy with politics... No place is perfect

dia del mercado... the best thing to come to Madrid
no life in madrid is complete without a row in the retiro Lago
Supporter of Real Madrid for a few years now
This year, I have learned to adapt myself more smoothly. I have learned where to find the things I thought were impossible for American baking or cooking recipes. I have learned that if you want it, there is probably a store for it, it will just take hours searching expat blogs and google (still looking for Target) I have learned that decent Mexican and Chinese food does exist, as well as good serve yourself frozen yogurt. I have also learned that I hate Ikea.


an outdoor cinema is somewhere I've always wanted to go!
after a delicious CHINESE dinner
making do: superbowl 2012
a bbq on our terraza! =)
Sushi Pizza, trying to recreate a typical plate from Astoria, queens ;)
Madrid has treated me so well in the past year, I sometimes can't believe it. I still suffer extreme homesickness some days; but a drive through the city center oddly makes me feel so much better. It reminds me of how lucky I am to have this life. A life in another country. In Europe. With Someone I love.




1 comment:

  1. It has been a busy year! You are right, no city is perfect (but we have it pretty dang good).

    ReplyDelete