12 June, 2012

Semana Santa: or The trip that cured my travel bug

Last year, Semana Santa was a pain in the keister. We were 8 or 9 girls all traveling more or less in the same direction, throughout too many cities. I myself flew Valencia to Sevilla, bus day trip to Cordoba, then bus to Granada, took a bus to Malaga to take a flight to Amsterdam, bus to Antwerp then train to Brussels and a flight back to home sweet home Valencia. I was never so happy to arrive in Valencia!

Anyway, for this year, I swore up and down side to side back and forth, that I would not repeat that travel hell.

Well, some parts well hellish, but in the end, it was a fantabulous trip to Eastern Europe. I got to go to two cities I've been ITCHING to go to: Prague and Budapest

Although I had some minor setbacks: pink eye in the right eye, pink eye in the left eye, having to ask for your everyday relief medicine in another strange language, and the loss of my camera... )

Ok let me go back a minute. Although this is slightly embarrassing, it happens to the best of us, and im sure everyone here has a similar story... well maybe thats just wishful thinking... heres my embarrassing travel story:

In the hotel in Budapest, my bowels start to act up a bit after 5 or 6 days of drinking foreign water and eating heavy eastern food filled with sauces and meat. We're getting ready for our last dinner, at a restaurant suggested by the oh so faithful tripadvisor. Dammit... way to ruin a good time.

Well I chug some water and hope for the best. To no avail. Its haunting me. Non stop... I hope you get my drift. Anyway... I didn't want to tell Esteban what was going on, its embarrassing enough to myself alone, and we hadn't gotten that comfortable in our relationshop where I could admit my bathroom troubles to him. So as we pass reception I sneak over to the person at the desk and ask for a pharmacy. 
Now, its 9 pm, pharmacies are not so readily available, and unfortunately Pepto is not sold in your nearest corner store or chino. 
Anyway, I go to the pharmacy and ring the door bell as instructed, and here comes 80 year old Ludmilla to the drive through counter like I'm at a freaking taco bell at 4 am.
I say the dreaded "d" word to this hungarian woman, and she looked at me with that "another freaking tourist" look

Finally, the time had come. I had to admit to Esteban what my problem was, mainly because at this point I was telling off all of the european union and their non 7-elevens nor CVSs 

So he said "no problem" like he always does. Found some wifi, and googled "laxative" oh no honey, that is NOT my problem.... "oh..." he replied and continued to google translate on his phone... we strolled back to the pharmacy, rang the taco bell window, and here came Ludmilla... I took the cell phone, and held it up to her.... her response?
"imodium?' 
Oh, it was that freaking easy, wasn't it.


Anyway, that combined with pink eye and losing my camera made me never want to travel again... its mid june and im still going strong.

When will I break?

Prague Old Town Square

Old Town square Easter market

traditional handmade easter eggs

Golden Lane at Prague Castle, the largest in Europe

Castle by night

Budapest 

enjoying the warm weather

parlament 

wine tasting in the center of the earth it was so deep underground there were no bathrooms! or credit card machines!

Budapest by night, breathtaking


No comments:

Post a Comment