13 June, 2012

More Prague/Budapest

My whole trip was not a nightmare. The trip was actually excellent, and all my travel dreams came true (except for the flurries in Prague)
Eastern Europe was so fun, so different, like a breath of fresh air... with smoke in it. You can still smoke in bars there! It was so strange yet annoying to smell smoke while eating. This is my official thank you to all the officials in Spain, and New York, and anywhere else, for banning smoking in public places. Now if it were banned in the rastro, you could possibly catch me there more than once a year!
Back to my trip and highlights. I got to eat a bagel! It was like a dream come true... and Esteban discovered he's even MORE american because he fell in love with a bagel with peanut butter and jelly!

We visited the largest castle in Europe. Well, half of it. But we aren't one for museums anyway


Add caption





We prefer to spend our time checking out the sites, taking in the feeling of the city, and drinking wine.

Cities are just breathtakingly beautiful at night
Im a fan of bridges

Admiring the John Lennon wall- too bad i forgot my pen!

To get to Budapest, we opted for a train. It should have been a 6 hour train ride, but typical eastern europe, it lasted 7 or 7.5 hours. Not too shabby. It was a nice break from walking around all day. And I was ELATED to arrive in Budapest, I had only heard amazing things about the city!  It was very eastern european, to get onto the metro, you had to show the actual guard your ticket, and the metro had funny circus like music that made me kind of happy and want to do a jig.

The hand of St Steven.. an interesting relic
 We never really had a problem with the languge (except at the pharmacy) English, thankfully, was widely accepted, so long as it was a young-ish person you were talking to. The second language of the older generation was German, so no luck with that
Church of San Matias, very beautiful!

Admiring the view from the Fishermans Bastion

Again at night, so gorgeous, I'll never forget it
We went a few times between Buda (very tranquil and calm) and Pest (the hustle and bustle and main part of Budapest) At night in Buda it was like a Ghost town, and Pest was like NY, never asleep filled with people and cars.

We also went to the very typical Thermal Baths. It looks like a palace but it was one of the most confusing experiences of my life, mainly because all signs were in Hungarian, once we finally paid and entered the locker room, we couldnt figure out how to enter the pool! Thank goodness for the young english speaking employee who helped us every 3 minutes with our questions and confusion.

Inside there were heated pools at varied temperatures and saunas. Outside there was a GIGANTIC heated pool with jets and fountains. I'm not a pool person but that was quite enjoyable!

I didn't get a picture because its a pool and I dont like the idea of cameras near water, so here is a picture I borrowed from google images:


Moral of the story: GO TO BUDAPEST

No comments:

Post a Comment