04 October, 2011

Re entering the realm of primary school

 Today I had my first day of school in Madrid! Now, for any avid readers, you may remember my first day of school went a a little something like this. It included playing the nurse to a student and rubbing cream on his jammed finger, and me panicking (do i use gloves, or risk catching a disease?), a lot of a language I don't understand, asking to teach the teachers, and being expected to work a 40 hour work week.

This year went a little different. I went in feeling a lot more confident, and more prepared for the unexpected. I can not lie,  I had low expectations. I expected the children to not speak a lick of English, and for them to treat me like an animal in a zoo, wanting to pet me and wave hello. I expected the teachers to not know what to do with me, and I arrived equipped with a first aid kit in the case of any jammed fingers. Ok I wasn't THAT prepared, but you get the point.

My schedule this year is pretty awesome. Monday and Thursday, from 10am until 2pm. And Tuesday and Wednesday 9am until 2 pm. Fridays off. This year I am sticking with 1st and 2nd grade students (6-8 year olds)) for the first semester. I will work with them in English, science and arts and crafts (all conducted in English).

I was pleased to see that many staff members in the school speak English, and many teach in English as well. The students are also used to seeing Americans and foreigners, so I wasn't treated like a circus act. I was not in physical education  so there were no major injuries (however one student did loose his tooth at the ring of the dismissal bell!)

Other positives from the day:
-free fruit, coffee, biscuits, and tapas during break at 11:45! (food is always a positive, especially free food!)
-I think this year will allow me more opportunities to teach since I stick to one age group of children, that way it is easier to follow what is being taught in the class and I can help plan more lessons!
-The students have a higher level of english, so they won't look at me like I have 11 heads when I ask them: "how old are you?". They can even respond in english to the question: Which organ pumps blood to the rest of the body?" (second graders... who speak spanish!)
-Other positive, is that I am blessed to be able to work with 3 other Auxiliars in my school. 2 other American guys, and one British lad. I think we're going to work well together and have a lot of fun!

1 comment:

  1. Aaaaaand we're off. Sounds like your year is off to a great start! It's so much easier the second time around, a que si?

    By the way, I love the way you changed "Mi Vida Valenciana" to "Mi Vida Valendrileña." Here's to more stories from a Spanish year!

    ReplyDelete