18 August, 2011

Naples and the Amalfi Coast.. different worlds a train ride apart

Countless people had warned me about Naples "Be careful there, Its like a different country!"  "See that dumpster over there? Go jump in it because thats all youre going to smell in Naples"  "Chelsea, why do you want to go to Naples, there is garbage everywhere and the Mafia is there!!! "  "Don't go out at night, its too dangerous!"

So obviously, I arrived in Naples feeling SUPER excited and SUPER safe.

But it wasnt as bad as I thought. Naples did have a lot of beauty to it, especially the coast, the history some architecture, and of course the PIZZA!!!!




But yes, I also felt unsafe at night, but perhaps that had something to do with people influencing my ideas? Peer pressure strikes!!! As beautiful as Naples is, it also made me really sad to see so much grafitti, and so much deterioration of the city, and knowing that so many people were suffering there. Naples could be a beautiful thriving city, but that's politics!


I only spent one day in Naples, but I spent 3 nights there. The rest of my days were spent in Sorrento, Capri, and the Amalfi Coast. (Ill save Capri for a separate entry)

One of the highlights of this trip, was my day trip to Positano. After bashing Naples, everyone said you MUST visit the Amalfi coast, and you MUST visit Positano! And for the most part, I do as Im told, so off we went!

My aussie friend Grace and I boarded a bus to Positano. The views were breathtaking. The big giant bus traveled along the edge of the mountains of the coast, sometimes allowing you to see 3 or 4 small towns in the distance. 

The town was very small, and very touristic (thats what we get for traveling in august!) but it was very pleasant and easy on the eyes. Just the views of and from the town were worth the trip there. Positano is also the home to all those pretty white dresses everyone wheres, some lemoncello, and lots of leather and bedazzled custom sandels! 




No comments:

Post a Comment