18 August, 2011

Detox in Venice

Let me begin my first describing how I came to arrive in Italy...
After a long last night in San Sebastian and 2 hours of sleep, I boarded a 7 am bus to Santander (duration: 2.5 hours) Once in Santander, I boarded the airport bus. Then I flew 2 hours to Frankfurt Germany for my layover.... for 6 hours. After a long wait which included reading, lunch coffee, and soft baked german pretzels (yumm!!) I boarded my plane to Venice and arrived at about 1030 pm. What a long day but maybe its good that I had many opportunities to nap!

When I arrived in Venice, I crossed my fingers that the person I had only talked with through emails would be there to pick me up, and a las she was! This mystery woman is the daughter of my mothers co-worker. She moved to Italy about 15 years ago, married an italian and now has 2 bilingual children. I want her life.

I was welcomed with open arms by her, her two adorable children, and their dog. I stayed with them at their beach house and used my time there to detox from pinxos and wine, and I switched to Gelato and pizza.

From there I had the opportunity to visit Venice. Venice is a gorgeous picturesque city, and its everything i've imagined and seen in the movies. However, there were way too many tourists, and not enough Johnny depps falling into fruit stands (seen The Tourist?)

Palace in Piazza San Marco

Venezian traffic jam




And no, I did not go on a Gondola... I'll wait until I can share that romantic experience with a significant other... or my best friend!

I spent the rest of my time in the area hanging out with Shelly and the kids, and at the beach. I mean c'mon... I AM on Vacation... and Im the worst tourist ever.... but whatever makes me happy, right??

No comments:

Post a Comment