28 March, 2011

La Bella Vita and Bologna Smells like Pizza

Another weekend has FLOWN by entirely too fast. It feels a little like this picture looks. Everything whizzing by- experiences, people, places, food, friends... and I'm just stuck in a moment, in awe at the life I have and the opportunities I get to take full advantage of- what a life I get to live. =)
stuck in the moment in Bologna

Adaliss and I packed our maletas up to visit our dearest friend Francesco in his hometown of Bologna, Italy. I have not been to Italy since the Summer of 09 when Jamie and I miraculously backpacked around a little from Paris to Cinque Terre to Rome and back again.... how did we make it out alive withouth planning much more than plane tickets and hostels?

Anyway, Bologna was fantastic, especially because we were welcomed with warm open arms into the Serafino's home and served endless fruit and homemade Italian cuisine! Mr. Marcello Serafino- you are a great cook!

We were also blessed with the presence of the famous Chiara, the love of Francesco's life. She is truly an angel! 

Francesco gave us some history lessons on his city and we did a lot of relaxing and just taking in and enjoying the Italian atmosphere, and learning LOTS of Italian (new passion/mission? I think so!)


Saturday night we went to a concert, a very different concert. The groups name was Caparezza. It is a man with capelli pazzi (crazy hair) and his bandmates who rap/rock out to their lyrics about Italian life and politics. Although I didn't understand what he was saying, it was a very animated and interesting show and I really did have fun!



We also got to see some of our beloved Bologna boys! Francesco is so sneaky and one night they just "showed up" after the concert. We danced the night away with them.
Why is it so fun dancing with Italians?
Dear Spanairds, please dance like Italians. Love, Chelsea
New bolognase friends
Bologna boys! Reunited finally!

If you want a gelato machine, the man on the left can sell you one that will never break!
Matteo certainly is a Gem!


But then after a nice relaxing stroll through Bologna and a brief encounter with Francesco's nonno and nonna, it was time to go back to Valencia. We said our sad goodbyes, and its possible we may have cried in the middle of the airport.

Saying goodbye to such great friends is so much harder when you don't have a fixed date to see them again...

But then again, I am currently fixated on planning a summer roaming Italy- whose with me?

P.S... Bologna really does smell like Pizza, and its fantastic

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhh I am so jealous that you went to a Caprezza concert!! I bet that was a ton o' fun. Did you learn any Italian while you were traveling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. of course! i make it my mission to learn as much as i can when i travel!! especially when it comes to a new language!

    ReplyDelete