02 December, 2010

Valencia- Where there may be 300 days of sunshine, but that doesnt mean its warm!

So when people hear that I live in Valencia, they instantly think I'm at the beach every day in my bathing suit under a palm tree eating oranges. Well people, you're incorrect. Because although there may be 300 days of sunshine, it still gets freaking cold!
Yes yes yes, it may still be hitting 60 degrees in the sun some days at 3pm, but in the shade, or in the mornings it is not so pleasant...
More specifically, it is not pleasant in the mornings, on a basketball court, standing around watching kids through hula hoops at each other for an hour.
It is so chilly here... and trust me, I'm layering and trying to keep warm (because I realize I'm infamous for refusing to accept the fact that its winter)
But I promise! Today I wore jeans, a long sleeve shirt, under a short sleeve sweater, with my heavy coat, my thickest scarf, gloves, and my new boots!
Apparently, that's not enough because all these thin-blooded Valencians think I need a ski coat
"Don't you have a jacket like that?" (pointing to a ski coat)
Yes, yes I do, its in New York
"Can your mummy send it to you? You should have brought it"

Ok, lets discuss this.

While yes, I DOOO have a ski coat, I only wear it to go skiing. I never wear it at home to carry out daily activities, unless those activities consist of traveling down a mountain for some hot cocoa and clam chowder at the ski lodge.

And my mother does not want to mail me a ski coat. Its big and bulky and Correos sucks (post still to come!)

And why did I not bring this coat with me when I came? Well sorry that while packing back in August, a ski jacket was not my first priority!

Now today after freezing outside for an hour, I was chatting with my friend Libby. Here is the actual conversation:
Me: i mean, i went to college in a place where it was negative degrees fahrenheit.... and  didnt wear a ski jacket, so why would i do it when its 40 degrees?
Libby: i don't know, that doesn't make a damn bit of sense to me
Me: but then agin, i never had to stand outside for an hour everyday and watch kids throw hula hoops at eachother
Libby: what the hell are they doing with those??
and why on earth are they still having to be outside?
it's december for goodness sakes
Chelsea: there is no gymnasium in the school
so its outside.... every day of the year
Libby: what kind of school is this
Me: Lucky me gets assigned to gym, the girl with poor circulation who is always cold
lol i hate being cold, i think its the worst feeling in the world
Libby:  it is, most definitely
maybe if you were allowed to drink a warm beverage while you did it..
Chelsea: no id still be against the idea
maybe if i could sit in a sauna
Libby: hahayeah, they don't have a gym, but they'll for sure build you a sauna
Chelsea: do you know that one time i went in a dry sauna? and it was like 45 degrees outside, and i was so cold that the sauna just warmed me up... and i never broke a sweat after being in there for over 30 minutes
ill build my own sauna
 
So basically, im starting a fund to raise money for warmer clothing and supplies.... and a Sauna!!!!

1 comment: