16 December, 2010

Flag Day in Spain.... or not so much...


Unfortunately, my surrogate mother here in Spain, Maria Jose has become "malita" aka sick. She lost her voice last week and the doctor told her not to go to work for 15 days!

So guess who is head honcho English teacher? Thats right... moi.

Now although I began the experience of a Spanish "solo week" feeling confident and calm... I then got sweaty-palm nervous! What do I teach? How do I follow through with classroom management? What if they don't listen to me? What if some major problem occurs? I dont speak Valenciano! And I'm lucky if the young ones know Castellano!

Stay calm Chels... you can do it. What's the worst that could happen?

Well, day one was the absolute worst!
Teaching 1st level- they were actually fine, a little tough to keep them focused, but I don't blame them because they're not used to listening to only English for an hour straight!
5 year olds- Whoa. I blocked this memory out of my brain. All I remember is a lot of little kids talking, not even noticing im in the room, then one student stepping on others and punching and kicking them! (this class almost caused me to release tears, but I held back knowing that every teacher in school has a problem with this class!
But the highlight of my day... was 6th level, first thing in the morning. Everything was going smoothly. They are really beginning to understand me and are generally helpful and understanding towards the language barrier!
Well, after learning some Christmas vocabulary, I tried to play something like "Hot Potato" with a Christmas ornament (you get stuck with the Papa Noel bell, then you say a vocabulary word we learned today)
Then before I know it, one student turns to his neighbor (another boy).... and FLAGS him. What is flagging? He pulled down the kids pants!
I did not know what to do! After recovering from the shock of having his pants to his ankles, the kid straightened up and started laughing, thank goodness! If he had cried, I think I would have too!

No comments:

Post a Comment