30 December, 2010

Reverse Culture Shock

After 3.5 days of near heart attacks and no sleep, I finally arrived to New York, except my suitcase was not so lucky. Because one flight was delayed and the other layover was cut down to a mere 55 minutes, my suitcase did not make it onto my connecting flight in Heathrow. Unfortunately this lead to more stress- all of my Christmas presents were inside!
Anyway, 26 hours later my suitcase was hand- delivered to my home! (With everything in tact-including my wine!)

However, being home has felt like somewhat of a dream. Except I cant figure out if Valencia was a dream, or if I am in a dream right now. I feel like im in limbo- I cant decide where I belong, both feel so right.
It seems like it took me 4 months to adjust my life to Spain- and I took 4 steps forward, and two steps back. I'm torn, but Ill be ok

So let me just make some bullets of some thoughts I've encountered while I'm here re-assimilating myself to American Life

-How do I flush the toilet?
-Wait, I have more than one option for sweatpants and sweatshirts?
-It's safe to put something heavy on the top shelves of the fridge??
-No,I am not going over 55 mph- Go around me!!!
-What do you mean you're out of French Baguettes??? Where's the nearest panaderia?? pastelaria????
-OMG those people are Americans-they're speaking English!!!... oh wait....
-I have never seen so many people wearing pants down below their butts... do these people have jobs??
-Heres my part of the bill..... wait, TIP!!?!?!
-"Gracias, Hasta luego... I mean thanks!!!"
-No I am not almost done with my coffee,  what's the rush!?!?
-one kiss? whats wrong, why not two?
-dinner? im not hungry i just ate lunch!
-wait, i need to throw out my trash?

No comments:

Post a Comment