26 October, 2010

Documentación, por favor

So I like to spend my free time in this LOVELY park near our piso called Viveros Park. It is so gorgeous with this rose garden and fountains, and Norita tells me that there used to be a castle there! How cool. So yes, I spend lots of time sitting in this park reading, picnicing, and people watching.

Well, yesterday was not such an enjoyable day at Viveros. First, I should have realized the warning signs ahead of time- seeing my Valenciano professor right beefore (eeeek!)

Anyway, so I decided to venture out past the Rose Garden today, maybe to a different spot in the park. So I find another cool fountain to sit near. So I'm sitting on the little bench, reading my Kindle (Let the Great World Spin) and this man passes me, and sits at the bench next to me. Now I like to sit directly facing the sun, so I was relieved that when I thought I heard him whistling at me to get my attention, that I couldn't look up without blinding myself or making a goofy face.  So I continue reading. And the man continues to sit there, doing nothing, for 20 minutes


The Lovely Rose Garden at Viveros Park
Then, clickaty clackaty... over gallops two police officers on horseback. I think nothing of it. Here to protect and serve-right? Well, the police officers ask strange man on the bench for his ID. Then they gallop over to me!!!! (the english version)
Policia: Hello, documentation please
Me: Well I only have my drivers license from the US with me
Policia: Thats fine... Are you studying here?
Me: Yes, well, sort of. I have a Fulbright grant (name drop whenever possible) and I am here teaching English for the year.... I am going to the Oficina de extranjeros tomorrow to finish my NIE paperwork (making me a legal resident... dropping this piece of information for fear of being deported!!!)
Officer: Great. How long will you be in Spain?
Me: 10 months
Lady Policia: Chelsea, what are your parents names?
Me: Karen, and Scott Dixon. S-C-O-T-T
Lady Policia: And where do you currently reside?
Me: Calle Reverendo Jose Maria Pinazo, numer 14, puerta 4, in Benimaclet
Lady Policia: thank you, have a seat, this will take a few minutes

So i sit down, and think about how im going to tell everyone I know that I got kicked out of Spain. The thing is, I wasnt sure if I should ALWAYS be carrying my passport, or if my NIE process has been taking too long!

Then I perk up my ears... they're calling my name over the radio.. spelling it out using those police terminology like "Charlie, Hank, Eduard, Larry" except it was more spanish of course...

Then finally... after 5 more minutes of sweaty palms and evaluating my plan of escape... the man policia trotted back over on his horse and gave me back my license and said have a nice day.

What else I was thinking was "this can't be legal! it isnt legal in the USA! A police on horseback cant just come up to me in New York and ask to see my documentation!"

But then I remembered I'm in Spain

What occurred to me this day,  not only made me fear my Spanish life, but also made me realize I was racially profiled!! Its because I'm blond!!! If I were a brunette this would not have happened to me. Oh well, Im still happy to be blond, even if I get racially profiled as being an illegal immigrant!

What an experience and story to tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment