10 November, 2010

Wining and Dining in Sevilla the Maravilla

Well, Seville sure did measure up to my expectations.  Seville, in the South of Spain is somewhat the epitome of what people thing of Spain to be: beautiful weather, flamenco dancers, bull fights, beautiful architecture, history, and good food... oh the food!

Before I continue I need to apologize for my horrible pictures. I have decided that a) I am going to start to live more in the moment, and admire things with my eye, rather than through my camera lens. I have also b) decided that my camera is never capable of capturing the beauty I see anyway.

We arrived in this lovely city on a friday night. I immediately met up with my friend Chessa who I had met in Madrid last summer who is studying in Ronda this semester, and her friend Lena. I met them in our hostel, the Sevilla Inn, right in the middle of the hustle and bustle of the city near the historic and gorgeous cathedral.

Then our weekend of food and fun commenced at Coloniales, where we waited about an hour for a table at this popular Tapas Restaurant. And I understand why! The food was amazing, our favorite being the chicken in almond sauce.

Later we met up with a friend Megan, who I met in a hostel in Madrid upon arrival in September. She took us to this bar in Alfalfa, and I dont remember the name, but it sure was an interesting experience! The bar was decorated very religiously, and it was difficult to know if they were serious, or joking because the bouncer seemed like an usher in a church, but the bartender was sporting a sweatshirt. The bar reminded us of a church/a grandparents house because of all the religious decor.  Also, their advertised drinks were Agua de Sevilla (containing cava, pineapple juice whiskey,  triple sec and whipped cream) and Sangre de Cristo (translation: blood of christ.... not sure what it contains!)

Me and Megan, with Jesus behind us

The next day we did our touristy things including a tour of the Cathedral, where you can visit the tomb of Christopher Columbus (aka the only thing I wanted to see- I think im still churched out after last summer!) But this church is impressive, and it is the largest gothic cathedral, and the third largest church in the world!


The highlight of our day may have been our horse and carriage tour of the city! Because we're some good looking American girls and the guys who do these tours are desperate, we got a good deal of 3 people, 45 minutes, 50 euros, changed to 5 girls, 45 minutes, 50 euros! 10 euros each, we were in! (after we ate chocolate con churros of course)
This tour was great because we got to see everything like the Plaza de España (beautiful ceramics), the Park of Maria Lucia (I think thats the name), Torre de Oro, a hotel that costs 400 euro a night (550 USD), the University, and many other things.
in our horse and carrigae outside of the Plaza de España, where scenes of Star Wars were filmed!

We also went to the Alcazar, which is the Royal Palace which used to be a Moorish Fort and that is clearly evident with the architecture. It is here where they planned the expeditions to the New World along with circumnavigation and many other excursions.  Now, the upstairs is still used for the Royal Family when they visit Seville, and the gardens are a popular spot to get married















Later after a to-die-for vegetarian lunch consisting of roasted artichokes, spinach and garbanzos, and roasted mushrooms (and a pitcher of sangria), we continued to indulge a few more bottles of wine on the hostels terrace. Then we headed over to our flamenco show. (but first, a  photo shoot in front of the cathedral)
Flamenco will always mesmerize me. I can not get enough, it is truly an emotional experience for me to watch it! I can always feel what the dancer is feeling by her expression, her movement and by the music as well (the wine may have helped the emotions...)
The next day was strictly souvenir shopping, followed by more indulging in food and wine. And good lord, each meal got better and better! Starbucks, fruit and honey crepes, mushrooms stuffed with goat cheese, a Spanish ratatouille, more sangria, etc etc etc... but the highlight may have been the not planned, just kind of stumbled on... mexican food! Margaritas and Fajitas! except, for some reason they weren't making Fajitas anymore... thats ok, we got chips and salsa, a burrito, taco, and enchilada. All vegetarian, all delicious we almost fought over who would lick the plate clean!!!

this mexican meal was a gift from the Mexican gods who visited us in sevilla, and let us watch American Football too!!!
Later, what we thought would be a low key night maybe watching a movie, turned into a 4 am night with some new Irish friends and lots of laughs.

Future weekend trips have a lot to live up to!

No comments:

Post a Comment