05 July, 2012

Quirky Cultural Differences

I really should have started composing this list ages ago, instead I began on Tuesday night, while watching my favorite program Modern Family.

Now we all know that going to another country may bring about some "Culture Shock", and there are lots of cultural differences that are obvious to an American in Spain:
-Siestas (and stores closing during this time)
-NO mixing sweet and salty (oh readily accessible Peanut butter how I miss you!)
-Large 7eleven coffees are non existant
-No eating in any place that is not MADE for eating (your home, a bar/restaurant or park)
-People play staring games on the Metro
-The noise level is noticeably higher
-Everything is closed on sundays

These are all very obvious differences that are quickly learnt by anyone who spends more than a few days here. However, recently I have discovered other differences that I found extremely quirky, things I would have never have learnt about if it weren't for American television being viewed here in Spain.

Example 1: Modern Family
Esteban and I love Modern Family, we always watch it in English with Spanish subtitles. Sometimes I find something hilarious, or simply funny, and I look over and Esteban is NOT laughing. I realize: crud, its cultural! So I have to explain.

The episode was the one in which Cam and Mitch had tickets to the Lady GaGa concert, and were very excited; until Cameron became sick. Mitch was in quite a dilemma, does he go to the concert or not?

While interviewing about the upcoming concert, Mitch says: We had great tickets for Lady Gaga. I was looking forward to this concert for weeks. It's the one gay stereotype I allow myself. 
After saying this, Mitch crosses his legs and places his hands over his knee, in a very "flamboyant" manner... suddenly upon realizing his quote and the position he is sitting in (the one gay stereotype...) he spreads his legs awkwardly far apart to look more "masculine"
gay? straight? or european?

This, I found funny. But Esteban did not. I had to explain that in our culture, when a man sits with his legs crossed like that, he is considered very feminine, and yes, GAY!

Esteban found this preposterous! Its a comfortable position, it doesn't mean he's gay!


Example 2: Rediculousness
This revelation was made a few weeks ago, but the rerun was on so I was reminded of this hilarious video of soldiers attempting something so simple as a jumping jack!

At the end of the video,  host Rob asks co-host Chanel if SHE can do a jumping jack. When she can Rob screams "Look at that! A fully coordinated American citizen!"

Go ahead, ask a Spaniard what a jumping jack is. Show them a jumping jack and ask them if they've seen them before, or have ever been asked to do one. The answer I believe, is NO

I have been doing jumping jacks probably since preschool! It is the most basic warm up of American society. I think I have probably easily done over 3 million jumping jacks in my lifetime.

For the record, Esteban also can do a jumping jack. The number of jumping jacks done in his life is now at about, 2.

A third non media related difference, is shamelessness.
After a long day of walking or if Im tired, Esteban has no shame carrying my purse for me. I insist that he doesn't do it, that he looks silly, but he doesn't care. I thought it was just him.. but lately I have seen lots of men carrying their ladies' purses around! And I must say, I LIKE IT! Go Euromen!
Look what he's holding! =)


I will keep my eyes and ears open for more!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment