08 July, 2012

Humidity Has Never Felt So Good!

I truly don't think those words have ever come out of my mouth, until this past friday as Esteban and I were cruising down the A-3 towards Valencia so I could relive a little snippet of my Vida Valenciana.  We hit a patch of traffic so turned off the A/C and rolled down the windows. My first thoughts: I can feel and smell the ocean, and OMG my skin is sticky!

HUMIDITY!!!!

I have never really lived an extended period time without humidity, that I forgot what it felt like! First I found the sticky saltiness refreshing and a nice change, but by saturday morning I changed my mind after walking around the center all morning. But those cool, humid nights were a dream come true: a weekend without dry skin! Soak it up, Epidermis!

So what did I do in Valencia? Well, all of my favorite things of course! This is like my Valencia Wish List, and maybe things I would recommend to people who ask me "hey Im going to Valencia for 2 days, what should I do???"

First things first: Horchata, or as those Valencians call it, Orxata at Orxata Daniel... yummmm


At night we went for a nightly stroll and then to one of my favorite rincones in the center for some tapas
Torres Serranos at night are always breathtaking

Las Cuevas, a yummy restaurant in a quiet location

Saturday was the best day of my life.... we visited the Mercat Central for some yummy fruit, got some paella para llevar and went to the beach!
This photo later inspired our lunch: Paella de Setas 
beer: passionfruit, chocolate, pineapple, banana??


We went swimming and found beach glass!
buried treasure!

leave me here forever

Then we visited with my Valencian parents, Maria Jose and Miguel for some Horchata (and Tonino from Italy was there too!) We drank some of Miguels famous homemade wine flavored with oranges and the other with walnuts. Things in that home will never change, and that's comforting. I know I am always welcome there, and they will take me in with open arms, wine, cheese, and paella.

Later in the evening we stopped by Portland Ale House for some authentic American good times, and later for some Spanish good times for a Botellón in the middle of nowhere.
I got to see my name show up one last time on the ValenbiSi stand

Sunday we strolled through the Jardines de Turia, played in parque Guilliver and made it over to the famously necessary Ciudad de Artes y Ciencias for some photo ops.
playing in Guilliver Park


una dulce americana.... and a sculpture bearing the USAs flag

To end the weekend right, we bought 5 raciones of paella from LA SALSA in my old barrio and then went to an undisclosed location for a typical Valencian lunch. I've decided to keep this location a secret because I dont want it inundated with tourists and I cant get a table when I go ;)

The weekend was rushed, but relaxing at the same time. There is so much more I wanted to do, but like they say, It's better to not do everything so that you have a reason to come back! Heck, I still haven't been to the Aquarium!

I felt very nostalgic being there, but I was also thrilled to be able to share my favorite things with Estebn, it was like taking him to my home in NY, but right here in Spain

I had a blast with my friends from last year. It felt like I never left. We spent lots of time laughing and chatting like we always did, and of course Ruben kept me updated on all historical things of Valencia and also shared them with Esteban.  Unfortunately, something was missing these few days: my girls. It really made me miss my experience last year, and made me crave one last taste of the Vida Valenciana with my friends Nora, Rosemarie and Molly. We always had so much fun together!

Can I have another year in Valencia? Why did I ever leave?
Oh yeah, I have a pretty great life here in Madrid <3
my one souvenir from valencia.... a spoon rest! I couldn't resist the Barraca!

No comments:

Post a Comment