30 December, 2011

Merry New York Christmas

I was lucky enough this Christmas to make it back to New York again to spend the holiday with my family and friends. I was also lucky enough to have Esteban come with me.

Our week was jam packed with friends, family, and food. I got to play tour guide while also gaining about 5 pounds eating favorites like NY Pizza, bagels, mexican food, peanut butter, pancakes, diner breakfasts, french toast, pretzels, m&ms and anything covered in chocolate.
cinnamon raisin bagel with maple walnut cream cheese

good ol' american breakfast of blueberry and chocolate chip pancakes

God Bless American Diners
Highlights from my trip home included:
*a visit to my favorite restaurant, Meson Ole
*walking across the Brooklyn Bridge (without a jacket!)
*dinner and drinks with friends in Queens
*Ice skating in Bryant park
*seeing my grandma
*watching Esteban and my father fly remote control helicopters for hours on end.
*Christmas In NYC

I always said my favorite time to visit New York is during Christmas time. It is so magical with the lights, the decorations, windows, and those pesky ringing bells throughout the city. I was so excited to share this with a Madrileño









 I had an obsession with teaching Esteban about an American Christmas and all things American. This included lunch from the hot dog truck, breakfast at the diner (eggs for breakfast!!!), trips to the beach, outlet shopping, drive through ATMs,  slurpees, having someone else pump my gas for me, etc.



As for Christmas traditions, we made a gingerbread house, opened our stockings christmas morning, had deli breakfast, drank Brandy Alexanders, and took lots of obnoxious christmas pictures



"prom pose" another american phenomenon
contraband 


Of course the viaje was too good to be true. And the next day after arriving in Madrid, everything seemed like a dream. Epsecially because as soon as we entered Spain, Esteban refused to speak to me in English. (I think after a week in America, his English is better than mine!)

What was odd for me was bringing someone from my Spanish life into my American life. They have never really been combined (except when my parents came to visit) and so it seemed like some sort of Matrix world... especially since I was in charge of driving, speaking, striking up conversation, understanding, and translating. Normally in my Spanish life, it is reversed. I had so much more confidence in my American life and felt more like a functioning member of society instead of just a member of society who is sliding by, and heavily relying on others for help.  It felt nice to fit in, and to feel in control, and to understand.

So of course after such a perfect week, I was extra-super sad to leave my parents. I let a few tears flow (ok, maybe more than a few). Leaving is so much harder when I don't know when I'll be back or see my family again....


2 comments:

  1. Totally understand where you're coming from, although I sometimes wish my boyfriend would refuse to talk to me in English. (His English is way too good.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your visit was short but very sweet. That's awesome that Esteban was able to peek into and actually share so much of your vida americana. And that you have rockin' photos to prove it.

    ReplyDelete