13 April, 2011

Spanish Health Care Take two

I blogged back in October about my experience at a Spanish medico's office. It wasn't a horrible experience, just different.  But ever since then, and because I did not receive my promised reimbursement for the visit, I have been avoiding the medicos like the plague.

Some illnesses and ailments have come up since then, but I have always been stubborn and refused to go to the doctor or hospital. I always said "no no I'll be fine, I'll get better soon with rest"... And I survived.

But recently, It has been hurting to walk. I have been limping around the city on a bummed ankle. What happened? I tried out athleticism again. I began running an average of 4 times a week for 4-5 kilometers a day. I felt great! Until two days later my ankle was swollen and throbbing!

So I swallowed my pride and headed over to a recommended professional in the town where my school is. He is a physical therapist. And hey, I'd rather go to him rather then waste my time and money at the hospital getting unnecessary x-rays.

The fellow examined my ankle, asked me some questions,  and applied pressure all over my foot and leg asking "le duele?" (does it hurt?) and waiting for my si, no or ow!

Turns out, I did not sprain it like I originally thought. He diagnosed me with tendonitis which I am familiar with.
Then he told me I need plantillas..... or shoe inserts which unfortunately I am already familiar with as well due to my battle with fasciitis. But I do not where those indestructible ceramic things in my shoes, because they hare hard ceramic and not the least bit comfortable. Actually, THEY HURT!

So this man brought out this machine I am also familiar with that sends electric waves through my muscle (I had this done weekly for 10 weeks for my fasciitis two summers ago). Then he did something I was not so familiar with.... an ultrasound.... on my ankle (can my ankle be preggers?)

Then he tied ice around my ankle, and wrapped it up in a nice splint like the school's sports trainer does, and told me to keep it on, wrap it in a bag when I shower and come back Monday!

Then I received the standard doctor lecture "this is from running, Chelsea. This is a problem with your feet. You can not run with out your plantillas. They give you the support you need. These shoes you were are unacceptable, there is no support!"  But my plantillas make me want to cry a) because they hurt and b) because I cant wear nice shoes with them.

I thought a spanish doc would be more understanding of my need to wear nice shoes and not wear Nike running shoes every day, but I guess not. He must have studied at the same college ad my podiatrist in New York who I vowed never to go to again.

So until I get my new running sneaks and the swelling in my ankle goes down,  its ice, elevation, and wearing a plastic bag in the shower for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment