05 April, 2011

Bringing the best part of American culture to Spain: CHEERLEADING



Yes, yes, It's true. I'm going extracurricular here in Valencia!  And what can I bring to the table? Why of course I choose Cheerleading!

Back when applying for this wonderful grant, we had to propose a "side project". This was a pretty broad point, so I said that I would try to start a cheerleading team, because after spending a summer in Spain, I learned cheerleading did not exist here, and no one really knew what it was (except for those who have seen Bring it On)

But some things kept me from doing this from day one (like lack of a gym, lack of English language knowledge, lack of extracurricular activities, lack of time for extra curriculars, lack of laws and safety precautions, lack of nurses and certified professionals!- USA, you ruined me with negative thoughts!)

But now that the weather is getting nice, my kids can understand me, and I learned some things in Spain are pretty easy going, I've decided April is the perfect time to start my new sport!

I posted fliers outside of the 3rd/4th, 5th and 6th grade classes, inviting all to join (though co-ed cheerleading isn't very popular in primary school)

At the first practice, I went over a contract I made up, and taught my 20 new cheerleaders some motions, 2 cheers and a jump (it did not occur to me to maybe brush up on my own jumps before showing them one... oops)

We will now meet 1 hour every Tuesday, where we can practice our cheers, jumps, cartwheels, a dance and maybe stunting (however the thought of this makes me quiver!)

By the end of June, I hope we can have a routine to perform for the school, almost like a competition routine or "half-time" show!

I think my school is pretty supportive of this. Know how I know? The principal called the local newspaper to tell them! So today I had a photographer!
"We're going to be famous!" I told my now team of about 15 girls

This cheerleading project for me is a way to stay in the game. But it's also for me to help the girls. Soccer is so prominent in Spain, and they need a fun activity too! It also helps to improve their English (understanding and pronunciation). Not to mention all the attention we get while practicing in the school yard.

Today after leaving practice, I found myself with a huge smile on my face and some pep in my step (despite the soreness from toe-touches). I thought to myself: this is what I love. Cheerleading is a part of me and I am so excited and so happy to share it with another part of the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment