10 February, 2011

Hey Spaniards, whacha doin outside in the cold?

Smoking, that's what!

Now to the typical American, especially those around my age think this is very normal to see people standing outside of a bar puffin on a ciggy-butt, smoking indoors has been banned in New York since about 2001!

But Spain is a different story. After a night out in Spain, you would come home smelling like nicotine and rat poison. It was not a very pleasant smell to have stuck in your hair when you woke up with a hangover the next morning- it certainly did not help the situation.

But non-smokers REJOICE! As of January 2nd, 2011, smoking indoors in Spain has become illegal!

Spain was known as one of the last "safe-havens" for smokers in Europe. It was one of the last countries to allow smoking indoors! Well, sayonara smokers, move outside with those cancer sticks and let us non-smokers inside in the warmth to enjoy smoke free air!

I was at one bar in Madrid on the 1st day of the year (the last day to smoke indoors- the ban would begin at midnight) and I watched the owner of the bar put up the NO SMOKING signs! (I might have been fist pumping in my head)

Its funny because now I don't really appreciate the smoke free environment, until i smell someone perhaps accidentally lighting up inside! Then it's quite noticeable. Usually, people don't start a riot over it.... this is Spain, no pasa nada!

But I still appreciate waking up with the occasional hangover... without the smell of cigarette smoke all up in my bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment