23 January, 2011

La Inundacion de 2011

This little wake up call made us realize we need a new apartment, rain boots, and a pedicure. Note the water ripples

After a week of insomnia, I sure did have ganas (hopes) of a good nights sleep. Everything was going great, I was out like a light. Then I was slowly awoken by what sounded like a game show buzzer.
Bzzzzzzzzzzzz (wrong answer)
Bzzzzzzz Bzzzzzzzz
Bzzzzzzzz Bzzzzzzzz Bzzzzzzzz Bzzzzzzzz

Finally I realize that I'm not on Jeopardy, and in fact, our door bell is ringing. So I throw the covers off of me, and get out of bed.
Splash!
I think: "crap, my water bottle opened. Oh well Ill clean it later".... but then I continue towards the door
Slosh, Slap, Splash  Bzzzzzzzzzzz Bzzzzzzzzz Bzz bzzz bzzzzzzz
(insert foul language here)

Then I open the door, to sweet Pepita from downstairs, the approx 90 year old woman who was not feeling so sweet at what I realize is 330 am.

She starts yelling at me in Spanish, and I can't process anything that's going on, except for the fact that my feet are frozen under an inch of water. So I yell for one of the girls to talk to Pepita because honestly, appeasing her is the last thing on my mind. Number 1 thing on my mind is to turn off the gushing of water, wherever its coming from.

So the troops aka Margaux Nora and Addie (sort of) get up and get all hands on deck. Margaux tries to calm down Pepita, as Nora and I try to to turn the water off and assess the situation. Addie sits in shock in her room, staring at the floor with her head in her hands.
Addie in disbelief
Finally Nora the Explorer turns off the water, and I go in my room to realize that i have electronics now submerged in the lake that is my bedroom. I start to save my electronics, my UGGs, and my space heater. Then I see all the clothes that I was too lazy to put away when they fell out of my tiny closet, so the remained on my floor until now.

I go outside to hang them out to dry, and I see the Police outside.

I think to myself: perfect! They can help and tell us what to do because Pepita yelling about insurance sure isn't helping.

The police yell up to me while I'm on the terraza like Romeo yelling to Juliet: "Who lives in that apartment?" (ok so it wasn't very romantic)

I realize they're speaking about our apartment. Crap, we're in trouble.

So they want to come in. Then we realize, they can't even buzz to come in because OUR BUZZER IS BROKEN. Then they come in, and see our broken door window covered in frutaria bags. This does not look good.

They ask for our documentation (I think soon Ill be on a first name basis with the police) and tell us to put on shoes so we don't get electrocuted.
Then they ask us what we were doing? Im pretty sure they thought we were smoking crack or some other illegal substance, because now I'm laughing at the situation of the water, the broken door buzzer, and the door glass. and the water, and our pants hiked up, and we're all wearing funny footwear, and we look like a big hot mess.
Then they tell us to clean us as quickly as possible. And they leave probably to go tell all their buddies about the stoners on c/ Reverendo Jose Maria Pinazo 14-4. Thanks guys.

Then Sweet Pepita being the "angel" that she is, drops off a mop and bucket, and leaves.

So all hands on deck. Throw down any towel or sheet you can find. We moped, and squeezed, and wrang out, and repeated... for 1 and a half hours. We emptied out at least 8 BUCKETS of water.
baracading the water from going FURTHER throughout the building. It may have filled the hallway and gone down the stairs.

all hands on deck, including table cloths

We made the best out of the situation with music, and jokes and lots of laughs.
No time like the present for a little Snack! Mopping was hard work!

Addie is the only lucky one with Rain Boots in Valencia

Rubber Ducky got some action... he could almost float! Again, note water ripples next to mop. This is after 1 hour of mopping

this is a great workout

Nora looking fashionable

Oh and you may ask where was your landlord for all of this? Unreachable. Of course!!!!
Paco, the apartment is flooded. The police were here. Call us!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Where did all the water come from a broken pipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes under the sink! 2 days later and its still not fixed! doing dishes in the bathroom!

    ReplyDelete