31 January, 2011

Birthday in the Canary Islands- Fuerteventura

So this past Saturday, I entered a new age group... my mid 20's! How scary! Now, I'm not one to enjoy getting older. Actually, I'm petrified of adding another year to my age, but that's another story.

To avoid accepting my old age, I decided back in September to have a destination birthday: Canary Islands.  The Canaries are off the coast of Africa, south or equal to the southern most part of Morocco. The climate is comparable to Florida or Mexico!


Unfortunately it rained the whole weekend (we did get a good 45 min- an hour of pure equator heat)

The island was beautiful in most parts, but I decided Fuerteventura life is not the life for me  Especially since where we were staying was filled with retired chubby gente from the UK.  (and the landscape is not very pleasing to the eye)

It didn't even feel like Spain... porque:
1) Spanish was not necessary at all during our trip
2) All restaurants featured "English Breakfasts" and at night the entertainment consisted of "f ABBA lous" and drag queens
3) Making dinner reservations for 930 was TOO LATE
4) Jamon Serrano was not forced upon us every meal
5) Coffee was served in large mugs and you requested "coffee with milk" rather than "cafe con leche"

Some things we did:
1) basking in the sun while drinking cava
2) eating delicious indian food (yay spice!)
3) Pedicures
4) Volcano tour (in the rain)
5) Got my iPod stolen
6) Saw chicken cooked over a volcano pit
7) delicious birthday dinner consisting of dorado fish and even a bite of GOAT
8) spa day! heated pools, hot tubs and saunas
9) Relaxation
10) A sad attempt at mexican food
11) Sparklers
Dodging the rain
largest volcano on Lanzarote


The volcano tour was pretty cool! We saw how the heat of the volcano could still start a fire, and can still cook chicken. We learned about how the Active volcanoes destroyed the island of Lanzarote back in the 1700's and the series of eruptions and earthquakes changed the landmass tremendously. 
We've experienced hell on earth


Delicious birthday dinner mmmm


I will definitely have to return to the canaries for some sun, and bananas! Who's with me?





Now although I tried to forget my birthday, my students at school would not allow it! I was surprised with numerous birthday cards, perfume, a gorgeous bracelet from Maria Jose, a bracelet from my 6th level class, and a necklace from 6th level! They almost made me cry! Here is a picture of a card from my 5th graders (inside was about 4 more smaller cards!)
Although I loved it! It was awkward to drag around on the metro- it released too much info!

1) Its my birthday
2) Im 24 (ew)
3) My name is Chelsea
4) I'm American

As if my blond hair wasn't enough!!! ;)

1 comment:

  1. Felíz cumpli! I was directed to your blog via Lyla's. I am hoping to be an ETA in Spain this coming year myself (I just recently got my initial recommendation from Fulbright, and am now anxiously waiting more news.) I'm enjoying your stories and I will be back for more!

    ReplyDelete